Wednesday 9 May 2012

Improving Your Role-play: Character Beliefs and Instincts (From The Burning Wheel)



A few months ago I picked up a copy of a nifty little game called The Burning Wheel. While I haven't actually had a chance to play this game yet, I have spent a goodly amount of time flipping through the rule book (which is beautiful, I might add). The game is based on character life paths, and character creation leads you through a very detailed and winding maze of choices, resulting in pleasantly complex characters. One of the best parts of the game, though, is a set of two things your character needs to have in order to play: Beliefs, and Instincts.

Beliefs are like goals for your character, and give great insight into your character's personality. A Belief is usually an "I will" statement, like "I will gain the respect of the townsfolk," or "I will avenge my brother's death." The more specific the statement, the better, because then you can begin taking steps to fulfill your Belief.

Instincts are sort of like macros for how your character would react in specific situations, and are often if/then statements about an action. "If danger appears, draw my sword." They can also be always/never statements:
"Never leave town without a torch." These statements allow you to create a consistent set of actions that help spotlight your character's behaviour.

Beliefs and Instincts are easily portable into any RPG. Have your characters choose 1-3 Beliefs and 1-3 Instincts. Try them out and see how they can create motivations for characters and bring them to life in new, complex ways.

Here are two NPC's I created for my Yekkislovia campaign using (leaving out the crunchy bits) The Burning Wheel as a guideline:

Ewald 
Lifepaths: Villager, Village Guard, Alchemist, Witch’s Son
Traits: Skinny, Crotchety, Half Elf, Humility, Seasoned, Blind
Appearance: Long-white-haired man with a cloth over his eyes. Very skinny, pointed ears and an ethereal quality. Wears old leather armour and a sword on his back.
Beliefs: I must find my brother and prove his innocence. I will find a way into Janik’s inner circle. I must keep my magical abilities secret.
Instincts: Start giving orders in a dangerous situation. Always know where my exits are. Keep my ears open for trouble.
Voice: Quick, grating whisper.


Ravenna
Lifepaths: Barbarian, Warqueen's Daughter, Bird Tamer, Ambassador
Traits: Apprehensive, Honored, Gossip, Aloof, Bored
Appearance: Dark mane of hair, supple body, ice-blue eyes, strong hands. Looks bored. Silver headband, skimpy furs and leather, a broadsword on her back. A great bird of prey on her shoulder.
Beliefs: I will prove that the clans are not kidnapping people from the town. I will find a companion worthy of my blade. I will bring honor to my clan in battle.
Instincts: Never trust a man. Hit first, ask questions later. Stick near the biggest companion.
Voice: Slavic, questioning, bored.



With these Beliefs and Instincts, I have a very solid idea about what these NPC's want and how they intend to go about getting it. The same will be true of player characters with well written Beliefs and Instincts.   

No comments:

Post a Comment