Tuesday 8 May 2012

Story vs Mythos


In preparation for my summer campaign (the ideas for which have begun budding nicely) I find myself thinking of ways to make this a unique gaming experience. I always try to make each campaign different in both flavour and meaning, and this will be no exception. But this time, I want to bring the world to life a bit more than usual, by using things like themes, ecology, stories and mythos. I have some world building to do, but a question strikes me as my mind begins to plot and scheme: should I create the world and then build stories within it, or should I create interesting stories and then build a world around them?

I think it is tradition in campaign planning that the map is filled first and then come the plot points and adventuring sites. I'd like to try it the other way around. Perhaps if I create a few interesting plot lines, and then build a mythos around them, my world will spring to life a bit more. It will leave more room for the evolution of ideas and hopefully allow for another memorable campaign. Creating a truly mythical experience for the players would be extremely gratifying.

My summer campaign is going to take place in Yekkislovia, a misty, wooded region beneath a silver moon shrouded by dark clouds. To the north, matriarchal barbarian hill clans; further north, an ancient forest inhabited by colossal god-beasts; to the south, a haunted wood full of lycanthropes and the enchanted ruins of ancient beast-men; in the centre of it all, on the banks of a wild river, Grimrose, a lonely bastion of civilization surrounded by darkness and devils; just beyond the river, a ruined castle, home to a pale man with a thirst for blood. Sentient, Scandinavian inspired trolls. Ghostly elves that dance and bewitch mortals for years in their woodland halls. An ancient book housing the secrets of Death in its pages. Seven holy relics scattered across the land.

Oh, yeah. This is going to be my gothic campaign. Witch hunters, witches, vampires, werewolves, alchemy, moon phases, Shostakovich. Get your silver sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment